PAL Yoga - Heroes
Time & Location
About the Event
This is a six week program; your registration is for six weeks.
Mindful Movement: Yoga for Parkinson’s disease
The benefits of exercise are well-documented for people living with Parkinson’s disease (PD). While traditionally thought of as a complementary form of alternative medicine, there is increasing evidence that yoga may be used to help improve activity participation, mobility, mood, and fatigue for people living with PD.
Yoga teaches us to turn inward, tap into our own wealth of knowledge and resources, and to move with more intention - both on and off the mat.
Our goal is to help you thrive by offering yoga as a tool for total wellness – a full integration of physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
And just to clear the air…yoga isn’t just for those who are thin, young, and flexible. You don’t have to be able to fold yourself into a pretzel, balance on your hands, or repeat Sanskrit mantras. All you need is an open mind, and an interest in building our community by moving and breathing together!
About the Instructor:
Kate Roberts is an occupational therapist at VCU Health with over 5 years of experience working with the Parkinson’s community. She is a registered yoga instructor with a specialty certification in adaptive yoga. Kate is enthusiastic and dedicated to empowering people with Parkinson’s disease to live their best lives.
Heroes Class (Thursdays, 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM)
- Developed for athletes with experience in Parkinson’s training classes or with prior yoga experience
- Equipment: yoga mat
- Class Description: dynamic mat-based yoga flow designed to improve movement speed, muscle strength, balance, and flexibility. Includes transitions between the ground and standing.
- Able to independently walk, lower to the floor, and return to standing.
- This event will be held under the Pavilion at Hunting Hawk Golf Club.
- Power Over Parkinson's will provide you with a Yoga mat for the weekly classes.
- Care partners are welcome.